Friday, January 25, 2008

Playing Today: Devil May Cry 4, Virtua Fighter 5, Lumines, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty

Today was a day with plenty of Demo action. I tried out Virtua Fighter 5, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, and Devil May Cry 4. I hadn't played a Virtua Fighter game in 6 or 7 years - since it was in the arcade. The controls seemed stiff, but I think they are meant to be that way. And perhaps that was just for the character I was playing. The graphics looked pretty good and I didn't hate the game. My problem is that the fighter genre seems to have run its course for now. Maybe Street Fighter IV will change that.

Turning Point was better than I expected. While I found the game to be buggy - it was not as awful as some of the low rung FPS titles. Perhaps this is one of those sleeper hits that gets better with the sequel. Or maybe the demo is just good enough to sell games and the real game is a mess.

Finally, I played Devil May Cry 4. I'd never played a Devil May Cry title before. I had high expectations that weren't met with this demo. I didn't get enough story and wasn't sold on why some of the enemies were and acted how they did. The game was pretty and gameplay was tight. However, give me some reason to want to play.

No comments: