Monday, July 9, 2007

Playing Today: Spider-Man 3, The Bigs

Oh boy is Spider-Man 3 turning into a mixed bag. I really am enjoying the size of NYC. I like how I can seemingly traverse incredible distances without any loading screens. All until you have a boss battle way underground in a box about 10 feet by 20. Kraven is obnoxious and hearing the same four lines of dialogue over and over is saddening. Why do game makers let this kind of stuff pass? Do they realize that this does nothing but make their games seem disposable and unloved? And just as annoying - I can't save the game where I want to. I fought Kraven for 30 minutes, finally beating him, but I could not save because I now have to fight Lizard. Seriously, the saving of games has existed for at least 20 years now - get with the times.

I tried playing The Bigs on medium difficultly and had quite a different experience. Gone are the 15-0 games. The ramped up difficulty I don't mind... for this game. Playing on easy difficulty is a fun option that lets me play through without hours of less fun gameplay. After a play through, if I really like the game, I'll play it on Medium. Quite a good game and well worth a purchase.

No comments: